Sunday, October 5, 2014

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate



Bibliography:
Applegate, Katherine. The One and Only Ivan. Ill. by Patricia Castelao. New York: Harper, 2012. ISBN 9780061992254

Plot Summary:

Ivan is a a gorilla who lives in the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade along with his friends Stella the elephant and Bob the dog. Ivan likes to watch television, eat, and make beautiful art. Stella has a lame leg and is very sick. Ivan is older and doesn't attract as many visitors as he used to in his younger days. Their owner, Mack, decides to buy a baby elephant in hopes of bringing more business to the zoo. Stella immediately bonds with little Ruby and helps her adjust to her new life.

Stella's injured foot causes her to become very ill. The owner of the mall, Mack, cannot afford a veterinarian and does not call one to look at her. Stella dies, but before shes does she makes Ivan promise to give Ruby a different life than the one she has led. Ivan promises his good friend her dying wish, but is unsure how he will accomplish this.

Critical Analysis:

The One and Only Ivan is written in free verse style poetry and I wasn't sure if I liked it at first. After reading a few chapters, though, I enjoyed the style. I think that verse works well in this book. It is a natural fit for Ivan's voice since he is a gorilla. He is intelligent, but he doesn't have the language skills of a human. He says very little at times, but he means much more. Applegate's writing is entrancing and her sentences are sometimes simple, yet they hold so much meaning. She uses language in unusual ways. She describes a mop as it "moves across the empty food court like a giant brush, painting a picture no one will ever see."

The imagery in this story was very vivid and I could picture Ivan in his cage painting pictures and making a plan. I felt Stella's pain and her desire for a different life for Ruby. I could see Bob prancing in and out of Ivan's cage, a free spirit. I could picture Ruby feeling afraid, asking lots of questions, and missing her home. I understood Julia's empathy for the animals and her desire to help them.

This is a poignant story which made a deep emotional impact on me when I read it. I fell in love with Ivan and felt his pain, his isolation, and his frustration. I also loved Stella, Ruby, and Bob. They all made a lasting imprint on my heart.

The illustrations in the book are kept to a minimal. They are very sweet and add to the tale without taking away from the story. The pictures are almost too sweet...they don't reflect the sadness that occurs in the book. I'm not sure they need to reflect any sadness, however, since the characters do an excellent job of this through their words and thoughts.

I think this story will appeal to children for many reasons. Children will love Ivan and his zany group of friends. They will feel sorry for Ivan and want to help him and his friends. I know many students will like the verse style of the book and find it fun and easy to read.

Excerpt from The One and Only Ivan:

I straighten to my full height. "I promise, Stella," I say in a voice like my father's.

"But you haven't even heard what I'm asking yet," she says, and she closes her eyes for a moment. Her great chest shudders.

"I promise anyway."

Stella doesn't say anything for a long time. "Never mind," she finally says. "I don't know what I was thinking. The pain is making me addled."

Ruby stirs. Her trunk moves, as if she is reaching for something that isn't there.

When I say the words, they surprise me. "You want me to take care of Ruby."

Stella nods, a small gesture that makes her wince. "If she could have a life that's...different from mine.

She needs a safe place, Ivan. Not--"

"Not here," I say.

It would be easier to promise to stop eating, to stop breathing, to stop being a gorilla.

"I promise, Stella," I say. "I promise it on my word as a silverback."

Review Excerpts:
  • 2013 Newbery Medal Winner
  • #1 New York Times Bestseller
  • Texas Bluebonnet Award Nominee
  • From Kirkus Reviews (starred review) "How Ivan confronts his harrowing past yet stays true to his nature exemplifies everything youngsters need to know about courage. … Utterly believable, this bittersweet story, complete with an author's note identifying the real Ivan, will inspire a new generation of advocates."
  • From School Library Journal (starred review) "Applegate makes a powerful statement about the treatment of animals–especially those living in captivity–and reminds readers that all creatures deserve a safe place to call home. Castelao's delightful illustrations enhance this lovely story, and the characters will capture readers' hearts and never let go. A must-have."
  • From The Horn Book- "The choice to tell this story in the first person and to personify the gorilla with an entire range of human thoughts, feelings, and emotions poses important questions to the reader, not only about what it means to be human but also about what it means to be a living creature, and what kind of kinship we all share. An author’s note describes the true incident that inspired this story and includes more information about the real Ivan."
Connections:

Have students visit the The One and Only Ivan website (http://theoneandonlyivan.com/) where they can watch a dramatic book trailer and learn about the real Ivan's story. They can also learn about author Katherine Applegate and see where she will be making appearances.

Listen to some of the backstory about Ivan from author Katherine Applegate and listen to her read an excerpt from the book (http://www.teachingbooks.net/book_reading.cgi?id=7533&a=1).

Have students research and write a report or a presentation about the mountain gorilla and investigate how they can help the gorilla population. Students can visit www.gorillas.org to learn about efforts to protect gorillas.

Have students investigate friendships between unlikely animal friends and share what they find with classmates. This can include books, photos, or videos.

Gather other nonfiction books about gorillas to share with students:
Gorillas by Seymour Simon ISBN 9780060891015
Ivan: The Remarkable True Story of the Shopping Mall Gorilla by Katherine Applegate ISBN 9780544252301
Face to Face With Gorillas by Michael Nichols ISBN 9781426304064
Gorilla Doctors: Saving Endangered Great Apes by Pamela S. Turner ISBN 9780547014333
Eyewitness Books: Gorilla, Monkey, & Ape ISBN 9780789460363

No comments:

Post a Comment